Food Establishments


Businesses which serve or sell food to the public in Lafayette County are inspected by the Lafayette County Health Department, under authority of the State Health Department using the Missouri Food Code.Magnifying Glass

The basic components of an inspection include:

For a complete list of the Food Safety Rules please refer to the Missouri Food Code - Protection from Contamination. For a summary of our rules: Food Brochure.

To report foodborne illness believed to have been acquired in Lafayette County, please call the LCHD at 660-259-4371 X2005 immediately. You, the public, are our eyes and ears. If you have a legitimate complaint and feel the important food rules are not being followed, please report your complaint to the LCHD 660-259-4371 X2005 or email


Food Establishment Permits

A permit from the Lafayette County Health Department is required to operate a food establishment. Fees are based by rating establishments as either high, medium, or low public health priority based on the Clipboard corresponding worksheet found here.

For a yearly food service permit renewal application, please print the Food Service Permit Renewal Application.

For a yearly food license, please print the Food Service Permit Application.

For building or major remodeling of proposed new establishments, please click here.

To view the entire Lafayette County Food Ordinance, please click here.

Liquor License Approval

If the Missouri Division of Liquor Control requires the Lafayette County Health Department approval as one of their requirements for a state liquor license, you must hold or obtain a permit (see requirements above) and your facility must be approved either by passing a pre-opening inspection or by submitting designs and plans subject to approval. For building criteria, please click here.

Temporary Food Stands

For rules and guidelines regarding temporary food stands at fairs, festivals, and other events, please refer to the Temporary Establishment Flyer.

Temporary Food Application Temporary Food Letter

Farmer's Market

Farmer's Market Guidelines

Frozen Dessert Licenses

Establishments with soft-serve ice cream and certain other similar equipment are required to have a license from the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services. If you need a Frozen Dessert License, the Inspector will notify the State Health Department and you will receive an application. If you need to renew you Frozen Dessert License, they will require your most recent copy of your health inspection, so keep them on file. If you have lost it, contact the Lafayette County Health Department; you will be charged a document search and copying fee.

Food Handler CertificationCertificate

As part of the Lafayette County Food Ordinance, most people working at a permit-holding establishment must have a food handlers certificate or card from Lafayette County Health Department or another approved program. Food handler certification classes in Lafayette County are offered monthly. For dates and times please see the calendar on the Food Safety page. To register for a class please contact us.