Meeting Students Where They Are
Dental sealants are one way to combat cavities and tooth decay.
Lafayette County Health Department understands the importance of early preventive measures to mitigate tooth decay and oral discomfort.
Proper Oral Health is Essential
Tooth decay is a common preventable disease seen in children. Cavities in baby and permanent teeth can cause pain preventing children from eating, speaking, sleeping, and learning properly. Fluoride varnish is a 5% sodium fluoride coating painted on the teeth to help prevent new cavities and may help stop small cavities that have already started. Following the varnish application, the teeth may look yellow, but this is not permanent and can be brushed off the next day. To give the varnish time to be effective, the children will be asked to not brush their teeth until the next morning. The coating does not taste bad or sting.
- Painted on teeth to prevent or stop tooth decay.
- Safe and painless dental sealant.
- Easy to apply and dries quickly.
- Infants and children up to 18 years of age.
- Does not require special dental equipment.
- Does not require a special dental cleaning prior to application.
- Free to the child and parent.
- Twice a year application at the school.
This service does not replace an oral examination by your dentist, which is recommended once a year.